Monday, November 23, 2009

Melanie's Monday Column 11-23-2009

Today I'm going to share layout #2 from the Flea Market Finds kit.

I worked on this layout at a local weekend crop and it was chosen the favorite out of all the ones entered. Which was very exciting and I won a little prize too! So many ladies asked how I get the edges to the paper to look like that. Well, it's all about tearing and inking. Tim Holtz Distress inks are my go to when beginning anything.Would anyone be interested in a tutorial technique on it? Let me know and if there's enough interest I would love to share.

I searched high and low for a quote or poem for my page. When I came across this one, I knew it would be perfect for this layout. Have you ever used a favorite quote or poem as the foundation of a page? If not, I would suggest giving it a try. I do it fairly often, sometimes in place of a title or journaling--it works great.


Here's a close-up of the poem.

picture goes here

This is a close-up of the 7gypsies 97% stickers and the graffer tape included in the kit. I tore my tape into small pieces because it felt so overwelming with the big pieces. When you rip the tape (insteading of cutting it) you get more of a distressed look. I like the little strands of string hanging down-gives the page more texture.


picture goes here

Here I used the flowers and the pearls (which are included on the alphabet sheet) for a nice simple embellishment. Do you see the green sheet next to the picture? That's a little reuse, recycle packaging from Prima.

picture goes here

This is other side of the picture showing a close-up of the layering. Did you notice my picture? I sanded the edges to get a nice worn, distressed feel to the edges of the photos. It makes it blend better with the papers.
picture goes here

a close-up of the graffer tape along the bottom edge of the photo.

picture goes here

Thanks for stopping by today. Have a great week and those celebrating turkey day this week-have a great one!

I hope you are all applying for the design team! Applications are going to be due soon! For more info on this, please visit this link.

~Melanie

3 comments:

  1. Great layout. I would love to see a tutorial on your distressed edges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw this on sb.com!!!!! ABSOLUTELY gorgeous!!! i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee that quote and all the distressing! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete