Monday, November 9, 2009

Melanie's Monday Column 11-9-09

This week I wanted to make a fall home decor piece for my kitchen table. I used the chipboard pumpkin pieces that are in my Crow's Nest kit.

With a little paint and supplies that you probably already have on hand, this is a fun and easy project to make.

First I punched 4 holes on each pumpkin with my Crop-a-dile.

Painted each one with orange paint.

After the paint has dried spread matte gel (or you can use glue) on the chipboard piece, rip some tissue paper into small pieces and spread them onto the glue. Make sure you leave bumps so you get lots of texture on the pumpkin.


After the tissue paper and glue has dried cut around the edges to clean them up. Coat with another layer of paint and let dry. I used brown distress ink on top of the bumps and around the edges. To finish them off I used the new Jack o' lantern Orange Glimmer Mist for a nice shine.

Using wire I laced up each pumpkin so they were all connected on each corner. I found the perfect bottom that fit the pumpkins perfect, which is just a top off a decorative box. For the bottom I painted it green, added green glimmer mist for a pretty satin look and attached a piece of yellow lace to finish it off.


I tied a piece of leftover wire to the front pumpkin.


I found the vintage piece with the little girl sitting on the pumpkin piece piece in the Creative Secrets Halloween book. This book is a must have, not necessarily for the journaling pieces but the elements.

I added some straw, which is sprayed with glimmer mist for lots of color and glimmer (of course).



***here's the small print...this is simply a decorative piece, I wouldn't burn a candle in it as it is paper and glue holding it together.

Thanks for stopping by today! I hope I inspired you to get those supplies out, think outside of the box and create something for your home or as a special gift.

~Melanie

5 comments:

  1. Mel - it's awesome. Very clever and would look stunning on my coffee table! I love the technique with the tissue paper and will be giving that a go this weekend. I love the dimension and texture. You clever girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the project! I saw a luminary project last week at Splitcoast and they used one of those little tealight size battery operated flickering candles. I know they come in all sizes and shapes and some are even scented. When I saw your project I thought one of those would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GORGEOUS! Melanie you are so creative!

    Abby:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Especially the tissue paper idea -what a great, fun way to add texture.
    Lisa:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGosh Mel - this is so amazing...I don't know how you do it -- a perfect 10 every time! xoxo

    ReplyDelete