Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Can I get a side of cardboard with that?


...you live in a rural county, in fact so rural the closest scrapbooking store is many miles away and you get the chance to shop only once in a while. You shop online normally at BlueMoon Scrapbooking! On a whimsy, your neighbor says, "I'm going to town, want a lift?" Well, you hop in and the neighbor says, "I'll drop you off and pick you up in a bit." Fabulous!-except you have been dropped off at the hardware store with only cardboard shapes, nuts and bolts, wire and mesh available. Time to push the creativity button as you work with the supplies from the hardware store.

This is your next challenge!!


Lisa sent the DT the new Donna Salazer Shapes and Borders Die Cut Corrugated Cardboard to use for the challenge. I am not going to lie.....my first thought was hmm.... what in the world am I going to do with this?
After I got the paints, mist and gesso out...I REALLY couldn't STOP creating with all the shapes!!! So, rather than show you one project, I thought that I would share some techniques to help you get those creative juices flowing for this next challenge!
This is one of the pages of a mini album I am working on. You will be seeing the whole thing very very soon. I think the borders on this sheet just scream banners. Banners are so in right now.

The I used 7Gypsies Avignon paper / Orchestra. I sprayed two light-medium coats of Maya Road Blue Raspberry mist.
Can't wait to show you more of this mini!

You can also cover the shapes with paper, acrylic paint and rub ons. I told you...the possibilities are endless!
On the cloud, I used some scrap from 7gypsies BARCELONA Paper - Catalonia and coated it with Tim Holtz's clear crackle glaze. But, you should see all the cool crackle paint BMS has to offer! It is so much fun to paint and distress with this stuff!
I used 7Gypsies rub ons on the heart.


Do you remember the beginning of my Life and Art Journal? I had abused that doily...but, for very artistic purposes? Well, I am going to show you a little trick I learned from the great Dina.
Using the negative of your shape, paint a pretty thick layer of gesso on your page. You can make it as smooth or textured as you like.
Let it dry for awhile. But, before it's completely dry, use spray ink to give it color and more dimension (while the chipboard is still on your paper). I used Tattered Angels Cherry Limeade.
It has such a cool effect, don't ya think?

Well, what are you waiting for?? Get on it!! Have some fun with this challenge and push yourselves to think outside of the box! And don't forget to load your projects up to the BMS gallery!

12 comments:

  1. omygosh!!!!! U are seriously a genius!!!! i love love love love love love this!!! wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful! I love the gesoo and mist together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Beth the techniques you've shown are awesome....all things I never knew I could try....thanks for sharing your talents! Can't wait to see the album!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it Beth! So artistic and lovely:) Love, Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks so much everyone! I swear those shapes are soooo much fun! And I can use them over and over and over and.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMAZING!!! love what you did with all of that!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son and I are trying this Gesso/Mist technique out tonight!
    THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beth!! How awesome is that!!!!
    Love*

    ReplyDelete
  9. holy smokes...this blew me away! loved it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooh lovely techniques Beth!! I've got a brand spankin never before opened or tried unloved unused bottle of gesso here.. maybe *just maybe* i will crack her open soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete