Monday, February 1, 2010

WoW, February already!...NEW KIT creations with Melanie

I can't believe it's that time again! A NEW, really fun kit, called Natural Living just went up in the store yesterday! Lots of the Basic Grey ORIGINS line in this one!


One of my favorite items Basic Grey made to coordinate with this line are the Tranquil Stamps. I can see myself using this "Memories of you" stamp over and over.

Here's a close-up of some easy to make layered flowers...and I'll even show you how!

Again, I used a image from the Tranquil stamp set. I used white American Crafts ZING embossing powder to really make the stamps pop off the page. Look at the cute felt birds, love them!


Here's an example of how I used the Smooch Spritz Spray Ink Mist. I sprayed a puddle on a sheet of paper and used a paintbrush...

and painted the inside of the embossed letters for extra shimmer on my page. This mist is really colorful and full of shimmery goodness. I even sprayed it on the entire white cardstock which is peeking out through one of the layers. And I couldn't stop there, on all the torn pieces and edges I painted on those edges too.

Ready of a quick tutorial/technique on layered transparency flowers using an embossing tool? Now this is how you get texture!

First, using flower punch-punch out 3 flowers for each flower you are going to make. I wanted to layer different colors, so I stuck a black transparency flower in between the 2 green ones. Sometimes the punch don't go all the way through the transparency so just press down to get the outline and hand-cut the rest of it out. A freestyle flower hand-cut works great too. Don't worry about being perfect-you won't notice it in the end.

Stack a group of 3 on top of each other.

I used a Basic Grey Brad what coordinated with my transparency flower. I stuck the entire flower into a foam pad, so it would keep everything together and I didn't burn my fingers.


Use the heat embossing tool and starting at the bottom, aim the embossing tool up let each petal just fall into place and crumple up. Making sure you do 1 petal at a time to get lots of texture. Once it cools, the transparency stays firm. This entire process of letting the petals crumple up only takes a minute.

Each flower will look different!


Here's the set of 3 I made for my Memories of you layout.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes!

Have a great Monday!
~Melanie

7 comments:

  1. I love those flowers! They are so neat! Thanks for the tutorial/sharing the technique. Your layout is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. U totally ROCK my world Melanie!! wow wow wow!!! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee this lo and those FLOWERS are WOW amazing!!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome LO Melanie....you add layers and texture so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! This is gorgeous!!! LOVE the heat gun technique!! You blow me away with your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love doing that to my overlays, too. but, I don't have a heating tool...so I used a lighter! hahaha
    >insert<
    KIDS, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!

    hahahah
    Love the spritz tutorial. I really didn't know what to do with that stuff. Love it!
    Gorgeous layout, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful layout...esp the flowers! Thank you for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this layout Melanie and those flowers are awesome! Thanks for the tutorial! Oh! BTW, thanks for introducing your friend to C.S.D.!

    ReplyDelete